FEB Milestones

On 2 July, 1959, the two-year post secondary School of Commerce was established in Maribor. This act represented the foundation of the present day Faculty of Economics and Business as well as the University of Maribor. The purpose of the establishment was to bridge the gap between the secondary and university education in economics.

In 1963, the School of Economics and Commerce was renamed the School of Economics and Business, which became renowned by its Slovenian acronym ‘VEKŠ’ throughout the country. The development of the VEKŠ meant the growth in quality as well as its internal maturation. In 1969, the VEKŠ became the first and for a number of years the only higher education institution in Maribor.

In 1971, a good academic staff structure and quality work led to the initiation of post-graduate programme. In 1976, the first Ph.D. title was awarded at the VEKŠ, which was at the same time the first one at the University of Maribor.

In 1989, the formal growth of the VEKŠ reached its peak when the School was named the Faculty of Economics and Business (FEB). Since then, the Faculty has been intensively developing its undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and gaining international recognition.